The original Bush & Gerts Piano Company was founded in 1884 by Chicago businessman William H. Bush; his son William L. Bush, who had trained in organ and piano making; and John Gerts, a master piano builder from Germany. In addition to its high-quality pianos, Bush & Gerts was best known for the establishment of the Bush Temple of Music, a Chicago landmark that, for a time, served as the company’s headquarters and housed its music conservatory. William L. Bush was also known for his tireless campaigning against the “stencil piano”—a piano bearing a name other than that of its maker—a fraudulent and confusing practice common in the piano industry of early 20th century America.
In 1924, Bush & Gerts was acquired by the Haddorff Piano Company, of Rockford, Illinois, which from then on manufactured Bush & Gerts instruments. Haddorff was acquired by Conn in 1940, and production of Bush & Gerts pianos effectively ceased about 1942, when most piano production nationwide was commandeered by the U.S. government for the war effort.
Since 2015, Bush & Gerts pianos have been made in Shanghai, China, for the Asian market. The models available for export to the U.S. are the White House and Chicago collections, which commemorate the company’s early days and comprise five sizes of vertical piano from 47" to 50", and two sizes of grand, 5' 7" and 6' 1". Components are sourced from the German companies Abel (hammers), Röslau (strings), and Strunz (soundboard), among others.
Warranty: 10 years, parts and labor, to original purchaser.