Knabe Baby Grand Piano with upholstered bench
TYPE OF PIANO:
Knabe Baby Grand
DATE OF MANUFACTURE ACCORDING TO SERIAL NUMBER:
Wm. Knabe & Co. was originally established in 1837 when William Knabe entered into partnership with William Henry Gaehle in 1837, forming the firm of Knabe & Gaehle in Baltimore, Maryland. In 1854, Gaehle withdrew giving complete control to Knabe, and the name was changed to William Knabe & Co. William died in 1864 and left the company to his two sons. During the 19th century, Knabe built some of the finest pianos in history. His patents were numerous, and his many innovations aided in improving piano design and evolution well into the 20th century. In 1908 the company incorporated and joined the American Piano Co. By 1932, the Aeolian Corp. of New York merged with the American Piano Co., and with it, the Knabe name. The factory was then located in East Rochester, New York. By the 1980s, after Aeolian went out of business, the Mason & Hamlin Corp. then owned this name until they stopped production in 1994. The Burgett brothers, makers of the PianoDisc player piano systems, purchased Mason & Hamlin in 1996. In the 1990s Korean company Young Chang began manufacturing Knabe pianos for Mason & Hamlin. The name was then sold to Korean firm, Samick (SMC), who now produce premium-level pianos bearing the Knabe name.
CURRENT FAIR MARKET VALUE RANGE AS IS:
$6,500 - $7,000 (U.S. Dollars)
Piano's-Condition=Better Condition - received very little use, mechanically/cosmetically great condition